Child Abuse Prevention Month is April
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Strong families depend on strong support systems. Support can come from family, friends, neighbors, and others in the community. Throughout April, you may see pinwheels representing Child Abuse Prevention month. The pinwheel symbolizes the belief that supportive communities and strong families prevent child abuse and neglect. When we work together, our communities are stronger and families are safer. One of the most effective ways to prevent child abuse is to strengthen families. Learn how to support children and families in your community and help families reach their full potential. Reach out to us! We would love to connect. Below are some ways to get started:
- We EDUCATE for ACTION! Join our upcoming community workshops. These are ideal for family-serving professionals, social workers, parents, and community members interested in child and family well-being, parenting education, infant safety, and protective factors.
- All families need help sometimes. Make the commitment this month to learn new ways to strengthen child and family well-being. Take part in a Playgroup, parenting class, or Protective Factors workshop and learn how you can make a difference for Maine kids. These workshops are ideal for family-serving professionals, social workers, caregivers and parents, and community members interested in learning and supporting their family and community.
- Research shows that, especially for youth who experience abuse and neglect, one caring adult can make all the difference. Be the difference for children in your community. We all have a role to play in creating relationships, connections, and environments to help every child thrive.
- Focusing on family strengths helps children, youth, and families build resilience. This month consider what helps keep your family work through challenging times.
- When we work together, we can relieve some of the overload that parents experience and free them up to focus on caring for themselves and their kids. Supportive Communities and Strong Families Prevent Child Abuse and Neglect.
● WEAR BLUE DAY MARCH 31st: Post your photos for Wear Blue Day on March 31st, 2023 on Facebook with the hashtag #WearBlueDay and tag the Franklin County Children’s Task Force! Let’s saturate the town in blue to kick off April as Child Abuse Prevention month! For more ways to get involved, please call 207-778-6960 or email email@example.com
● PINWHEELS FOR PREVENTION: We can still grow a better tomorrow for all children, together, while being apart. Ask us for pinwheels you can physically plant together, or take part in this 100% virtual, nationwide pinwheel garden. Donate and plant a pinwheel with your message of support. https://pinwheels.preventchildabuse.org/
● WICKED WHOOPIES: $55 donation for a box of 50 whoopie pies! How many boxes can you fit in your freezer?! These homemade Maine whoopie pies were made with love. They have a shelf life of about 3 weeks and a freezer life of 6mo-1 year. All proceeds benefit programs through the Franklin County Children’s Task Force that reduce the rates of child abuse and neglect in Franklin County.